What can Student Care help me with?

Student Care can be contacted on any issue which directly or indirectly is affecting a student's ability to study successfully, including academic issues, personal and financial issues, and advice on interacting with the University and external agencies.

What is an EWO?

Education and Welfare Officers (EWOs) work at Student Care and can be contacted on any issue which directly or indirectly is affecting a student’s ability to study successfully. The University of Adelaide has policies that govern courses, services and behaviour on campus. The EWOs are designated advocates for students under the University policies and processes. They can help you with any issue or complaint through a process of investigation, negotiation, referral, advice, support and advocacy. The Education and Welfare Officers have wide range of experience and expertise in university culture, systems and policy as well as dealings with external agencies (eg. Centrelink, SACAT, welfare and rights agencies and utilities providers). Education and Welfare Officers can also assist students to address financial, accommodation, and personal concerns.

If I study at Roseworthy, Waite, or AHMS campuses do I have to come to the North Tce campus for an appointment?

No, Student Care can offer Zoom or Phone appointments or assist by email throughout the year. Please do not hesitate to contact Student Care as soon as you need assistance. EWOs also visit AHMS, Roseworthy and Waite campuses regularly and you can make an appointment though email or phone (8313 5430). The dates that we are on campus at Roseworthy and Waite are advertised via campus newsletter, notices around campus and on the Union website.

If I talk to an Education & Welfare Officer is it confidential?

We offer an independent, completely free, confidential and non-judgmental service. Student Care's Education and Welfare Officers are here to work with you to make life at Uni that little bit easier. All support is provided in a confidential, friendly environment. If you wish to see our Privacy Policy please ask our staff.

How do I contact security on campus?

On North Terrace campus contact the Security Office - ph. 8313 5990

Roseworthy - 8313 7999

Waite - 8313 7200

AHMS - 8313 0443

How do I get a student loan?

Student Care assesses applications for interest free student loans on behalf of the University of Adelaide. If you wish to apply for a loan you will need to complete the required application form, provide supporting documentation and have an interview with an EWO. Further information is at the following link: www.adelaide.edu.au/student/student_loans/

Students can also apply for an emergency loan of up to $100, conditions apply.

Is what I discuss with an EWO shared with University staff?

No, all information discussed with an EWO is confidential unless you give permission for it to be shared outside of Student Care. Our staff will always seek your permission prior to discussing your situation with any other staff at the University.

What other financial assistance can I access?

Student Care administers grants including the Walter and Dorothy Duncan Trust, A.R. Riddle, McConnochie Scholarship, Equal Access Grant and Singapore Adelaide Alumni Fund. For more information see: www.adelaide.edu.au/scholarships/

Where is the Student Care office?

Student Care is located on the North Terrace Campus. Our offices are on the 8th floor of the Hughes Buidling and entry is via the Hub. You will see a green sign out the front of the door.

Who do I contact in an emergency after business hours?

For emergencies:

SA Police 000

Mental Health Triage Service Ph: 13 14 65

For after hours support:

On campus - University of Adelaide Security Ph: 8313 5444

Phone Counselling - Lifeline Ph: 13 11 14

Counselling after hours:

Crisis Support Line 1300 167 654

Who do I contact for support on campus?

Student Care is open 9-5 Monday to Friday. The Education & Welfare Officers will be able to assist you during these times and can refer you on to the most appropriate service.

Where possible please make an appointment in advance.

Who do I talk to about sexual harassment?

You can speak with a Counsellor at Counselling Support here on campus or an Education & Welfare Officer at Student Care. When you are unsure where to go and who to talk to, EWOs can be your first point of call. We can provide information, advice, referral and advocacy. You will be supported to explore the options available to you. You can be assured that the information you disclose will be treated in the strictest confidence.

Will the University have a record of my contact with Student Care?

Records of student information are strictly confidential and will not be released to the University without student permission.